“Oh Sickle Cell...What’s That?”


There are around 12,500-15,000 people in the UK living with sickle cell and there are approximately 240,000 people in the UK with the sickle cell trait and around 60% of these people are based in London alone. Even with these high numbers, meeting someone who simply knows what sickle cell is is an experience for me that comes once in a blue moon. 

I was recently invited to my friend's church where I met a guy with sickle cell and speaking to him brought me so much relief. Relief in the sense that I was reminded that I’m not the only one going through what I’m going through. I could spend days trying to describe the pain that comes from living with sickle cell but to someone who doesn’t have it the descriptions are basically meaningless, as words alone are not enough, but he could actually understand the pain that I’ve felt because he’s felt it too and we could laugh at the different ways we manage to look after ourselves. The encounter was very brief but the effects are long-lasting. It really got me to realise the importance of having someone to talk to (or if possible to relate to) when it comes to health. 

I find that in this big big 2017, I still have to explain what sickle cell is to nearly everyone I meet (friends, family, employers) and it quickly becomes an awkward encounter as most people don’t know how to react. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem at all when it comes to educating people about SCA, 9 times out of 10 it’s an experience I find enjoyable, and I like to think I’m making it easier for the next person they meet with sickle cell. However once in a while, it’s refreshing not having to answer a multitude of questions, not having to explain the ins and outs of this condition.

Sickle cell is a very lonely disease and the way it can make one feel is indescribable, so if you’re reading this and you have a loved one with sickle cell I advise that you go out of your way to learn about the condition just as a way to show them that you’re doing all you can do to relate to them. I know for a fact that this effort would be greatly appreciated. (You can find out more about sickle cell and links to sites in my introduction post)

Also if you’re someone who has sickle cell and feels as if you have no one to speak to, or someone who just wants to learn more about it, feel free to message me on Twitter (@_titooye), my DMs are always open. 

Stay healthy,


Tito

Comments

Unknown said…
Great enlightenment.

Popular posts from this blog

Here We Go Again

Flight Risk?

“You’re Just Not My Genotype”